NIQS is looking for a talented photonics design engineer with a diverse skill set to join our R&D team based in Leeds. As part of this team, you will be working on the design, development, assembly, and testing of our non-invasive glucose sensor that will revolutionise how diabetes and glucose levels are managed.
The job will involve a range of tasks related to designing the optics, electronics and mechanical systems for the prototype, prototype assembly, and testing optical- and electronic-based components and sub-systems. This position requires the individual to have a well-rounded background with a broad knowledge base in physics, engineering, and photonics-based technologies.
At NIQS you will be working in a fast-paced, but friendly, supportive, and respectful environment. We are looking for people who can work well as part of a team, who have ambition, and a real passion for what they do.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
• Work alongside the other R&D team members focusing on prototype design, optimisation, and assembly.
• Developing and testing of optics designs and components, electronics designs and components, and mechanical designs for prototype.
• Working alongside the technical and commercial lead to contribute to product development strategy.
• Work alongside the technical lead to optimise and document manufacturing processes and know-how.
• Working alongside the Data Analysis Technician to analyse and optimise data collection.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s or Master’s in photonics, electrical engineering, or related discipline/comparable industry experience (PhD is desirable).
• Experience designing and testing optical and electrical components and sub-systems.
• Complex problem-solving skills.
• Excellent team working skills.
• Excellent planning and organisational skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience working in cross-functional teams.
• Experience working with or in early-stage technology start-ups.
• Experience packaging photonics, optics, and opto-electronics.
To apply for this role, please answer the following questions and email your responses to email@example.com, with a copy of your CV attached. This will help to make the process fair and consistent by evaluating all candidates using the same criteria.
• Why do I want to work for NIQS?
• What are my relevant qualifications or experiences for this role?
• Why am I the best candidate for this role?
• Examples where I have worked well as part of a team/demonstrated problem solving abilities?
• Salary increase in subsequent years.
• 28 days annual leave.
• Flexible working from home options.
• Career development.
• Responsibility and mentorship opportunities.
• Share options.
Diversity & Inclusion:
NIQS strives to create an inclusive and equal opportunity for employment and development, where progression is based solely upon individual merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. This means that all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to national origin, age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religious beliefs.
Essential attributes for this post: Demonstrate previous experience as a Chief Operations Officer or similar role. • Understanding of business functions, such as finance, marketing etc. Competency in strategic planning and business development. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. Excellent planning, organisational, and leadership skills. Excellent team working skills. Aptitude in decision-making and problem solving. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Experience working in cross-functional teams.
Essential for this post: Previous experience working in a laboratory environment with laboratory equipment. • Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering or physical sciences, or related scientific field/industry experience. • Technical skills to be able to properly use lab equipment. • Observational and analytical skills. • Proficiency with statistical analysis tools and coding languages. • Excellent team working skills. • Excellent planning and organisational skills. • Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Requirements for this post: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a scientific field. • Demonstrate previous experience in a similar role. • Leadership skills. • Strategic thinking. • Excellent team working skills. • Excellent planning and organisational skills. • Excellent written and verbal communication skills. • Experience working in cross-functional teams.