A BJSS Platform Engineer works primarily within a project team with the following responsibilities:
- Project Delivery: the day-to-day responsibility for technical aspects of a project, both internally at BJSS and at client sites
- Managing, supporting, maintaining and improving the project’s infrastructure, automation, continuous integration system and application release process.
- Acting as a bridge between operations and development teams.
- Supporting knowledge transfer by mentoring others.
In addition to these responsibilities, you will be a key point of contact for the client to ensure smooth delivery, deployment and subsequent running of new technical solutions. You will need to be seen as a leader within the field of ‘Dev Ops’ and understand the effect of delivering leading edge technical solutions and the technical impact on the client. Like with many consultancy engagements, you will need to wear various hats and will need to be seen as, Project Manager, Service manager, Development Manager and Consultant all wrapped into one.
As a subject Matter expert, you will be required to get involved in Pre-Sales and bid activities, to ensure we are able to present the very best and market leading solution to our clients.
What we are looking for:
A BJSS Platform Engineer will have a minimum 5 years’ experience in a delivery focussed environment and able to demonstrate:
- Strong commercial experience of managing complex multi-tier enterprise infrastructure environments.
- In-depth configuration management, automation and scripting skills including use of a scripting language such as Python or Ruby, proficiency with shell scripting (e.g. BASH)
- In-depth knowledge of platform and application automated deployment technologies (e.g. Ansible, Terraform, Cobbler, Puppet, Chef, Tivoli Provisioning Manager, Foreman)
- Exposure to iterative/agile development methodologies (SCRUM, XP, DSDM, RUP etc.)
- Exposure to continuous integration and build tools (e.g. Jenkins, TeamCity).
- Use of source code version control (e.g. git, subversion).
- Excellent Linux/Unix system administration skills with a bias towards RedHat Enterprise Linux versions 6 and 7.
- Understanding of software and infrastructure architecture including performance tuning applications, infrastructure and databases.
- Good database knowledge and SQL skills (on an enterprise database such as Oracle or EnterpriseDB).
- Good understanding of infrastructure and application security including Cross Site Scripting attacks and SQL injection attacks and the use of a WAF. Understanding of OWASP objectives and requirements.
- In depth knowledge of virtualisation platforms and cloud orchestration technologies such as AWS, VSphere, vDirector, Xenserver, Xen, Cloudstack and Openstack. Experience with building systems in an autoscaling environment including Self-Healing systems
Possessing any of the following skills would be great, however they’re not essential for the role:
- Configuration of firewalls, load balancers and other network equipment.
- Software development experience.
- Experience of application servers such as WebSphere, WebLogic or JBOSS.
- Experience of Microsoft .NET technologies and Windows system administration.
- Experience with planning for Disaster Recovery.
- Exposure to ITIL.
We undertake a wide variety of work and although no two engagements are the same, a BJSS Infrastructure engagement will typically be:
Working within a team on the end-to-end delivery of Technology projects for our clients, our Platform Engineers use industry best-practice techniques to deliver time critical solutions.
Projects may be delivered using our BJSS approach, or the clients preferred method, and may be a pure BJSS team or an integrated BJSS/client team.
Clients turn to us for Technology-based consultancy services such as the design and development of their IT systems, reviewing their existing technology stack and providing strategic input for future extensions to their IT systems. These are both advisory and in project delivery capacity at client sites.
Engagements may be delivered from our own offices in the City or at one of our client office locations. An element of travel is part of the job.